Multigrain Sabudana Khichadi
A versatile, light and healthy dish that you can have for breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner!
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) - 2 cups
Oats - 3 tbsp
Flax Seeds - 1 tbsp
Red Potatoes - 2 medium
Peanuts (Roasted and crushed) - 1/4 cup
Green Chillies chopped - 1 or 2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 4-5
Ginger Stick - 1 finely grated
Cumin Seeds - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Olive Oil - 3 and 1/2 tbsp
Grated Carrots - 2
Fresh Coriander Leaves finely chopped - 2 tbsp
1. Wash the Sabudana Pearls and add water just till they are coated. Too much water will make this soggy. Then once the pearls soak in the water, they fluff up double the size. If they look too hard, then I usually add 2-3 tbsp of warm water and keep them covered for few minutes. This is how it will look once they are fluffed.
2. Roast Oats on medium flame for about 5 minutes. Add flax seeds to this. Once this cools down, powder it and add it to the Sabudana. Also add the crushed peanuts and salt to taste.
3. In a separate pan, add some olive oil, and add the chopped potatoes. Add some salt, and Chaat Masala to taste. Lower the flame, cover and cook this in a low to medium flame.
4. Heat a heavy bottom wide pan. Add about 2 tbsp of Olive oil. Add the cumin seeds and roast for about a minute. Add the curry leaves, chopped green chillies and grated ginger and saute for about a minute on medium flame.
5. Add the Sabudana and mix well. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water, lower the flame, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
6. On the other pan, the potatoes should be roasted golden brown. You can switch off the flame.
7. After 5 minutes, check the Sabudana. The pearls will turn from white into a translucent color. Keep gently mixing, and add 1 tbsp of water if needed. It will cook and soften with the steam.
8. Add the chopped coriander leaves, grated carrot, 1/2 tbsp oil and mix well. Serve Hot!!